The Backbone of Industrial Storage: 5 Reasons Pallet Racking Shouldn’t Be Overlooked
Pallet racking is an essential component of any industrial facility. It provides the backbone for storage and organization of products, materials and supplies. Especially in today’s economic and industrial real estate landscape, as a pallet racking manufacturer and integrator, we are seeing the critical role that pallet racking plays in the smooth functioning of warehouses, distribution centers, manufacturing plants, and ecommerce fulfillment facilities.
In this article, we will discuss the top 5 reasons that make pallet racking the critical backbone of every industrial facility.
- Maximizes storage capacity: With industrial real estate costs on the rise, and vacancy rates at all-time lows, it has never been more important to maximize the storage capacity of your industrial facility. Pallet racking systems are designed to do exactly this. By utilizing vertical space, pallet racking allows business to store more products, materials, and supplies in a smaller footprint. Not only does this save space, but also helps to reduce operating costs by minimizing the need for additional square footage and dropping the cost per pallet position.
- Ensures product safety: Product safety is a top priority of any industrial facility, and pallet racking plays a crucial role in ensuring products are stored safely. Pallet racking systems are designed to withstand heavy loads and provide support for various types of products, including palletized, bulk, and even loose items. With extensive design and engineering capabilities, a reputable manufacturer such as North American Steel can design additional safety features into the racking, such as safety bars, recessed or cant leg frames, or back stop beams, to avoid or minimize instances of product damage.
- Improves organization and accessibility: Pallet racking systems are designed to make it easier to find and retrieve products. This is particularly important in large industrial facilities where products may be stored in high volumes. When working with a skilled racking manufacturer, pallet racking systems can be customized to suit the specific needs of a business, including height, depth, and weight capacity. This customization ensures that products are stored in the most efficient manner, and the racking is easily accessible to workers. The amount of accessibility, or selectivity, compared to the amount of storage density can vary depending on industry and type of products being stored. Due to this, it is very important to have a pallet racking system that is designed specifically for the requirements of your business.
- Enhances Productivity and efficiency: When organization and accessibility is improved, as outlined in the previous section, a positive byproduct of this is improved productivity and efficiency for those working in and around the racking system. Workers can quickly locate products, which reduces pick times, or time spent searching for and retrieving items. Pallet racking systems also facilitate the movement of products, making it easier to transport and load/unload items. With continued advancements in technology, a skilled racking manufacturer can also engineer pallet racking systems that may be integrated with ASRS (Automated Storage and Retrieval Systems), automated crane systems, and robotic pickers
- A Cost-Effective Solution: While some pallet racking systems may come with a substantial price tag, depending on size, complexity and construction, as long as they are designed and engineered specifically for the needs of the business, they should be viewed as more of an investment and a long-term cost savings mechanism. A properly designed and integrated racking system can reduce operating costs in the long term by minimizing the need for additional square footage, increasing overall storage capacity, and reducing on-going labour costs. Additionally, pallet racking systems built with heavy duty materials and additional protection features require less on-going maintenance and repairs.
In conclusion, pallet racking systems offer many important benefits for any industrial business, including maximizing storage capacities, improving organization, accessibility, operational efficiency, and providing long-term cost savings for the business. It is important to consider pallet racking as the backbone of any industrial facility to ensure successful operations long into the future.
Do you have questions regarding your existing storage system or require collaboration on a new facility? Please contact the North American Steel team at [email protected], or fill out our contact form here.