Owens Corning Launches FOAMULAR® XPS RadonBarrier™ Radon Abatement System
Insulation system designed to make Canadian homes safer sets a new benchmark for radon gas encapsulation
Owens Corning, manufacturer of PINK® FIBERGLAS® insulation and other energy-saving products, is pleased to announce the launch of its new CCMC certified FOAMULAR® XPS RadonBarrier™ Radon Abatement System.
Radon is a radioactive gas that is odourless, colourless, and tasteless. When radon is released into the atmosphere it gets diluted and poses negligible risk to human health. However, if radon accumulates inside a home, it can pose a serious health risk. According to a Toronto Star article published May 2, 2021, radon is the second leading cause of cancer, after cigarette smoking*.
About one in five homes — 5,600 of the 30,000 tested nationwide — showed radon levels exceeding Health Canada’s guideline of 200 becquerels per cubic metre (Bq/m³), according to data gathered by researchers from the University of Calgary conducting this investigation. The radon threat could be neutralized with simple and affordable technology at time of construction.*
“The innovative Owens Corning radon barrier system is a smart choice in new construction. It helps protect the homeowner from radon gas entry and helps create the ultimate lower living space — providing comfort, indoor air quality, and most importantly, a safer living area,” said Sal Ciarlo, technical services and codes & standards director.
Owens Corning is proud to introduce an energy-efficient and sustainable solution for radon abatement:
FOAMULAR® XPS RadonBarrier™ Radon Abatement System Components
- FOAMULAR® NGX™ CodeBord® Extruded Polystyrene Rigid Insulation
- Owens Corning® JointSealR® Tape
- Owens Corning® ProPink ComfortSeal™ Gun Foam or Code Compliant Flexible Sealant
- 3rd party certified in Canada – CCMC Report 14349-R1
- Contributes to a safe home environment
- Provides indoor air quality, adding comfort to the home
- Meets codes in a cost-effective manner
- Offers multiple CCMC-approved system options
- Faster to install than conventional poly
- Easier to cut (no poly)
- 36X greater performance than 6 mil. poly2
- Easier to install than EPS3 Expanded Polystyrene Insulation
- Less expensive than SPF4 Spray Polyurethane Foam Insulation
Learn more at www.owenscorning.ca/radonbarrier
*Toronto Star May 2, 2021
¹Only CCMC certified Radon Abatement System solution with XPS; CCMC Report 14349-R
²NRCAN Radon Abatement Test Report No. A1-020145, October 20, 2021. Owens Corning Foamular® CodeBord® with taped or sealed joints is 36X greater than 6 mil. polyethylene as a radon barrier material.
³Builder Field Test Quebec
⁴Elimination of poly
© Owens Corning 2022. All rights reserved.